Tuesday 1 November 2011

Music Video Evaluation

The music video can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXFp-njHl5s&feature=channel_video_title

When we was told about the task I didn't feel very confident, but after watching a few videos I started to think of ideas and things that would make the video look professional and good. One of the first things I noticed was that the singer of all of the videos we watched and analysed was the main focus of the story behind the video and so the singer was like a main character in a story. Most of the videos had a relationship between the lyrics and visuals, which is part of Andrew Goodwin's theory, and in turn makes the video better. In a couple of other videos we watched there was also some intertexual references, for example in Alien Ant Farms 'Movies' there is lots of references to classic movies, which people would recognise and would again improve the video. Another thing that was in video's was voyeurism, which could make the video better, though it would be very unsuitable for the video my group was assigned for so we decided not to use this in our music video. I found lip syncing pretty easy since my group played the music off of a phone so I knew the timings and when exactly to say the words, and later we just added the music in and the lip syncing was perfect.

Editing the clips was reasonably easy because we shot plenty of footage so we could choose which ones were the best for the music video. To choose the best footage for the video we kept in mind Andrew Goodwin's theory, mainly the theory that the music matches the audio, which ended up making the video look very effective, and one of my teachers even  said that the Mise En Scene was very good. I think the editing of the video was pretty good as well, but I need a lot of practise to make a perfect music video since the clips didn't flow very well, and each cut was obvious to the viewer since it just suddenly changed angle which wasn't what my group wanted. What my group wanted was to make all of the clips as flowing as possible so it looked like one continuous shot but sadly we couldn't obtain this. Despite this I still think that the editing was pretty good since the message was still conveyed effectively in it, which was that even though it was raining the main character was still having a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment